If you can get a bug for traveling, I’ve got it. There’s nothing more incredible than packing my bags, boarding an airplane, and flying to a new place. The wonders of God’s creation ease my spirit, ignite my soul, and enrich my view of life!
Traveling is one of the most humbling experiences. The more places I go, the more I realize-there’s much more to life than my immediate surroundings. There are billions of people that live underneath the same sun and stars I work and sleep under. They breathe the same air I do. The laugh like I do, desire to be loved like I do, and most importantly, they need a Savior like I do.
Someday, I’d like to travel the world, meet the people God has created, and learn more about the Lord as I see His ingenious and incomprehensibly wonderful world! In these twenty-two years of my life, the Lord has blessed me to be able to travel many places already! Here are my top five so far:
1. The Holy Land. Israel is without a doubt, my favorite place in the world! The moment our plane landed in Tel-Aviv, I felt like I was home. Walking the same places where Jesus walked, reading His beautiful Words in the places He taught, and leading vacation Bible school in the city where He was born were life-changing experiences. I left part of my heart there and look forward to the day I go back…and even more so to the day Jesus comes back for us!
2. Haiti. James 1:27 says “Pure and undefiled religion is this: to love orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” Holding sweaty, precious orphans in my arms has never been so sweet! As I held Mirason, Bergaline, Son Son, Michael, Sonia, Jonelle, and many more beloved children, my heart literally broke in two. They have no mommas. No one to dry their eyes when they are sad, no one to kiss their scraped knees, and no one kiss their forehead goodnight and sing them a lullaby. Yet, even though I am here while they are in Jeremie, Haiti, I can trust that the Lord is holding them in His strong arms, wiping their tears, and caring for their needs. And someday I hope to go back and love them some more!
3. The Big Sur. Traveling with my brother and sister has to be one of the most adventurous things I’ve done! Six years ago we met in California where my brother lived and traveled the Pacific Coast Highway. One of our stops included one of California’s national parks, the Big Sur. The views were breath-taking! Trees towered over our heads, the water crashed upon huge boulders while the sun set a brilliant picture, and flowers blossomed everywhere! We couldn’t help but sing “Indescribable” as we drove along the PCH. It will always be one of the most unforgettable moments of my life as we were in awe of God’s creation!
4. Wales. My senior year of high school we embarked on a journey to England, Ireland, and Wales. Thankfully, my mom was able to go with me on this adventure! Wales was the perfect mix of what I envisioned England to be like. The town we visited was full of quaint cottages, cobblestone roadways, and ancient castles. Just thinking about it puts a smile on my face and makes me want to brew a hot cup of tea!
5. Costa Rica. My junior year of high school I went on a mission trip to Costa Rica to do missions at a nursing home. One precious lady stood out to me here. She was blind and held a baby doll. We put a flower we picked from the ground in her hair, and her face lit up. There truly is joy in the little things. Although the beauty of Costa Rica was overwhelming, the treasure of her smile exceeded the skyline!
As I look at the globe, my heart begins to race as I wonder…where am I going next, Lord? My list grows daily..India, Italy, New Zealand, Uganda, Peru, Scotland, Greece, Australia, Hawaii… I’m looking forward to the next adventure God is planning! And I’m loving the one He has me on today!
Always remember: The present only happens once in a lifetime. Take hold of the places God has you traveling to. This adventure He’s writing will blow your mind!